Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What's up in our world?


I cannot abide people who have no knowledge of current affairs. I'm not saying we should all digest newspapers for breakfast, but a general idea of what's going on is a necessity.

I struggle to hide my disgust when, after asking "have you heard what so and so politician (extremely influential amongst our countries youth, for example) said in response to..?", the reaction is "No, I don't listen to the news. Ever."

Hello?! How can you be completely ignorant of the world around you? Think about it now. You don't HAVE to know what's going on everywhere in the world, all the time - but you must know SOMETHING of your immediate surrounds. This is YOUR country. And MY country.

Let's play a game:

I'll ask questions off the top of my head, you see if you can answer - it will help to be a saffer (that's a South African)

- Where is our President at the moment?

- Who has just been fined R50 000 in the Equality Court?

- For what was (I'll give you a clue) HE fined?

- What's the power used for our Soccer World Cup 2010 Stadium being generated from?

Did you know the answers?

What about in the world?

Do you know that Beckham most probably won't be participating in the World Cup since he's torn his Achilles tendon (ouch)?

Did you hear about the new break through skin cancer treatment?

Or the man, who was blinded in the service of his country, who will be able to see using is tongue? (I know its weird, and I don't entirely understand it myself)

I'm not trying to show off what I know, I'm just saying - its important to know what's happening in your world!

There is a news feed to the left of this page, click on something.

No comments:

Post a Comment