Monday, June 13, 2011

One Year Later

Saturday marked one whole year since the kick off of the 2010 World Cup which South Africa proudly hosted.

I remember Tshabalala's opening goal - Bafana vs Mexico, Soccer City, Jhb. We were late to meet friends that the V&A Waterfront to watch the opening game and we were in Harley's Liquorstore on Buitengracht Street. I was texting my friend Luci "We're running late I know, but will be there soon, just picking up a few six packs" when I looked up at the old TV mounted in the corner above the till. Tshabalala put that ball in the net and the shop erupted. The street outside erupted. All of Cape Town cheered. There were people jumping on counters, strangers hugging me, cars hooting and people running down the street telling everyone they saw that South African had scored the opening goal.

That night we partied in the street, walking with our drinks through the crowds talking to strangers and congratulating each other on what was sure to be a successful World Cup.

Its hard to think it was an entire year ago.

Here is a montage by the BBC:


I am still waiting for the photographs from the World Cup, once I have them I'll put them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment