Thursday, May 12, 2011

In Your Fridge?

Stephanie de Rouge has made a photographic documentary called In Your Fridge in an attempt to better understand peoples lives, to know them more intimately.
"Through my travels, I have developed a fascination for big cities and their devastation energy.
Since I live and work in New York, I am more than ever wondering how humans survive those tentacular - always exciting - and often hostile urban spaces.
How they preserve their singularity and intimacy.
Where they find the soft, the poetic, the soothing.
Where they hide their secrets.

I started the porject by shooting portrait of New Yorkers in their bedrooms ("In Your Room") thinking it could be a good place for intimacy.
I was wrong. Or not exactly right. The building walls don't talk.
New Yorkers move all the time, share/bublet bedrooms... Not a good setting for a long term relationship with one's self.

Quickly, my subjects whispered a few words about a place dear to thier hearts: rooftops.
An outdoor space for intimacy? Why not... Let's see...
I discovered more than 40 of these urban shelters between earth and sky ("On Your Roof"), and was fascinated
Not by the amazing lights
Not by the phenomenal views.
But by the real people I met up there and the very touching stories they shared with me.

Then I got thirsty...
Can I grab a joice in the fridge?

Hum... what's with the Barbie doll behind the salad?
From Paris to New York, I opened more than 45 fridges and discovered quite amazing worlds.
Much more elaborate and reavealing than I had expected in the first place.
But I knew I was at a milestone in my quest of intimacy on big cities when people actually started refusing to show their fridges.
As is fomething too personal was stacked between the cheddar chees and the mayonnaise.
So... show me (what you eat) your refrigerator, I'll tell you who you are?
Maybe.
Maybe not.

To be continued..."

Stephanie de Rouge

Some of those are pretty intimate I rate.

I wonder what my fridge would say about me?



No comments:

Post a Comment