Monday, April 5, 2010

In Short...


...The last 8 posts have been selections of kitchens, the images I have sourced and collected from all over and over many months, so I don't remember who deserves the credit. If you see an image that is yours, thanks a million! Credit where credit is due. That being said, bloggers are incestuous when it comes to images.

Anyway, the point of the collection is simply that I love kitchens and I am meant to be redoing my parents kitchen -which has been in the throws of "redoing" ever since my father and his cabinet maker friend decided spontaneously, unbeknown to mom and myself, to remove the grocery cupboard a few years back (7 or 8 perhaps). There is still a gap in the floor tiles and cornicing around the ceiling.

I have already 'redesigned' it, on paper, and will, no doubt change it before actually starting. Its going to be a long process. Sometimes I wonder, if I just started chipping the wall tiles off the wall, it wouldn't get the ball rolling. Then I look at the corner with the missing finishes and remind myself that that would totally not work, and we'd probably be stuck with missing wall tiles for a few more years before anything constructive happens.

So the plan is:
1. Priorities - what are the most important renovations to start with?

I would say - the counter tops. Which means having the counter table removed and making an island unit in its place before putting on new counter tops.

Then - Flooring. The ugly tiles the house unfortunately came with must go. There are many options, none of us can agree on the same one except that the tiles must go!

Finally (although in a practise this would come before the floor) the wall tiles must be removed. Some will be replaced, other area, re-plastered and then painted.

So those are the priorities for which quotes must be gathered. Perhaps not for the removal of the wall tiles - I have a suspicion that can be done by the sweat of our own brows.

When this project progresses further than this page, I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment